Links
- 802.heaven
- the ultimate indulgence of ego
- Stuff, Things, and Other Matters of Great Import
- A musing, many musings
Archives
Poetry, People watching, and Polemics -- the real PPP...Random insanity generated in hopes of priming the creative pump (hmm... 'things that sound dirty, but aren't' for $500, Alex...) and really just posted to put off things that i should be doing instead. m
5.17.2004
#Moving on...
Putting on my coat; packing up things forgotten when I found
myself a new home, I wonder how things have changed since I
first moved in. Was this place really so great, or
is it that the sparkle of new belonging has faded and it is
harder to appreciate the strange foyer and “charming façade”
than it once was? Did I make it seem so wonderfully unique so
I could rationalize my decision to settle here? At the time, I
thought that I could live here for the rest of my life. How is
it that the same place, so open and inviting at the time,
would now seem only dark and confining? How can it
be, that my seeming place of safety has become a trap
after only a few years? Am I doomed
all my life to wander, staying only long enough for
those first sparkles to fade into discontent, forgetting after
years or even months how excited I was that I had found a place
of solace, a secret fortress from whence my heroic attempts at
chasing what I really wanted to. Therein is the key: focus on
what I want, not on the trappings of normalcy the faceless
others have decreed that I shall have. I guess I always
thought too much about how everyone else saw me, and
I never gave the important things the time or energy I
should have. Perhaps that is why I feel this gaping, tearing
want.
Still, it is hard not to wonder if
I am chasing ephemera, if I
just have to accept that the things I think I
need will remain always out of reach, and it is better
to appreciate what life has given me; to
take refuge in “good enough” and stop waiting for
the fairytale ending. Why can’t I accept that I can’t ever be
first in anything? Yet my stuff is packed, and waiting on the
step. Hat in one hand, magic beans in the other, I close the door.
Comments:
<< Home
This is a particular form of poetry I developed, signified by the '#' before the title. without giving too much away, i like it for the challenge it presents, since i have to make sure that everything is really saying what i want it to.
Wow -- Matt, that's an awesome poem. It almost makes me cry. This is so close to how I've been feeling this past week.
Thanks for writing it.
-E
Post a Comment
Thanks for writing it.
-E
<< Home

